Industry lighting: Five success factors you really need to know about
Almost every branch of industry needs powerful lighting to manufacture high-quality products. OSRAM DS identifies the five most important factors that you should know in order to be successful with modern, LED-based industry lighting today.
02.11.2022 | Expert Nicolai Heber
Low production costs are a crucial success factor for virtually any branch of industry. One area where this is often overlooked, but where significant savings can be made, is the area of lighting costs. But don’t most industries need especially powerful lighting anyway, which will always generate high electricity costs? And don't these systems also have to be maintained and renewed particularly often due to the especially demanding conditions in the industrial sector? Where, then, are the potential savings? You’re about to find out, so keep on reading.
Whether in development, in production, in processing, in packaging or in logistics centers: In industry, good, bright light is needed everywhere to ensure high product quality, smooth work processes and the safety of employees at all times. This is not only true for production halls and warehouses, but also for application areas such as cold storage facilities, supermarkets, hardware stores, parking garages – and even peripheral areas, e. g. corridors, staircases or restrooms. But the high number of light points in many areas of industry is also a cost factor that should not be underestimated. Lighting solutions that help minimize expenses – while still ensuring high lighting quality – are therefore very much in demand here.
Spoiler alert: OSRAM DS has been developing, building and distributing these exact solutions for many years. But we also know the five most important factors you need for successful industry lighting:
Factor 1: Robust components
Lighting products for industry must be particularly robust and well-protected against the special operating conditions in industrial environments. They should also enable the construction of particularly low-maintenance lighting systems.
Factor 2: Long service life
A particularly long service life helps to significantly extend replacement intervals and thus minimize costs for operators. Optimum compatibility of products with each other can also lead to extended system warranties.
Factor 3: High energy efficiency
In order for the industry to save large amounts of CO2 and electricity costs, LED systems must be designed for particularly high luminous efficacy. Non-isolated LED drivers with very high system efficiency are preferred in many cases. State-of-the-art lighting management systems can also help industrial companies save electricity and protect the environment.
Factor 4: Digital data exchange
Wherever high costs are generated by a large number of light points, analyzing luminaire data makes a lot of sense – because it allows potential savings to be identified and leveraged in time. The option to provide these data is automatically integrated in all OPTOTRONIC DALI products and standardized by the DiiA. And the use of wireless systems means that many lighting tasks can be carried out much more quickly, easily and cost-effectively.
Factor 5: Future-proofing
Industries need lighting products that are particularly future-proof – right up to integration into state-of-the-art "smart industry" environments. After all, they want to be able to react flexibly to current technical innovations – but also to new standards or legal requirements, such as the EU-wide phase-out of fluorescent lamps by September 2023!
OSRAM DS offers you all this and more. But we don't just give you the best arguments to score points with industrial plant operators. We also provide you with the lighting products that keep you one step ahead of the competition:
- Our PrevaLED Linear IND G1 LED modules are optimally prepared for use in trunking systems. They have a high luminous efficacy of up to 193 lm/W and are available in color temperatures of 4,000 K, 5,000 K or 6,500 K. Thanks to their particularly robust design and a very long service life of up to 100,000 hours, they are virtually maintenance-free. This is important in typical industrial installation situations, where they are often installed in places that are difficult to access – such as under high ceilings or above machines that run around the clock. Any maintenance that does not have to take place here pays off in terms of avoided downtime and reduced labor.
Our linear LED modules are optimally matched for use with OPTOTRONIC IND LED drivers. Depending on the task, you can choose between different driver families:
- We have recently expanded our OPTOTRONIC IND LED driver family to power clusters up to 300 W – both DALI and On/Off (FIT). All these drivers are characterized by a very long service life of up to 100,000 hours, a particularly wide operating temperature range of -40 to +65 °C and a low HF ripple current. This driver family offers a diverse spectrum of applications and is ideally suited for trunking systems or highbay applications with integrated LED driver. In addition, the DALI versions are DALI-2-certified and ensure excellent light quality thanks to 1...100 % amplitude dimming to avoid any machine disturbances. Both DALI and On/Off (FIT) also have the CLO function, which helps to further save energy. Also available in 75 W, 100 W and 150 W versions and as DEXAL (D4i) versions for connection of wireless sensors and radio systems.
- Our non-isolated OPTOTRONIC intelligent IND DEXAL LED driver family is also excellently suited for use in trunking systems. OTi DX LED drivers with open DEXAL interface are D4i-certified and enable the simple and seamless connection of sensors or radio modules as well as the bi-directional exchange of luminaire data – such as energy consumption, temperature or operating hours. This data can then be analyzed and used for energy optimization or predictive maintenance of the lighting system. This also opens up a wide range of new applications, including integration into wireless lighting management systems and "smart industry" networks. And last but not least, DEXAL offers particularly low standby power consumption, which can provide additional savings, especially in industrial installations.
- With the combination of our PrevaLED BRICK MP LED modules and the IT DALI P7 LED driver family, we have developed a powerful solution for the construction of particularly high-performance and energy-efficient highbay luminaires. With a long service life of 50,000 hours and a module luminous efficacy of up to 195 lm/W, PL BRICK MP is more than up to the special lighting tasks of large logistics centers and high warehouses, but also in outdoor applications. On top of that, the module also provides a high level of versatility by complying with standard Zhaga dimensions and being compatible with third-party optics (e.g. from LEDIL). It also features an integrated NTC for on-module temperature observation.
- The ICUTRONIC DALI P7 LED driver, which is optimally matched to PL BRICK MP, is also a real all-rounder. Thanks to its IP67 protection rating and its wide operating temperature range of -40 to +55 °C, it is also suitable for application in both outdoor and harsh indoor environments. Via the integrated DALI interface and AstroDIM, the connected LED modules can be dimmed autonomously, thus saving a lot of electricity costs. In addition, bi-directional data exchange is guaranteed via DALI-2 DATA. This means that luminaire data can be monitored via DALI Network or wirelessly (in combination with DALI-based wireless nodes) and used for predictive maintenance, for example. And the IT DALI P7 LED driver is also future-proof, because its features enable integration into state-of-the-art IoT environments at any time.
- Some application areas require a simple and inexpensive, but efficient solution. Expected for winter 2022/23, our all-new IT DIM non-isolated LED driver family in 40, 60 and 75 W with connectable RF sensor is such a solution. Due to its simple, but well-thought-out configuration, this driver is ideally suited for installation in damp-proof diffuser luminaires, such as those used, for example, in underground garages. The currents can be selected by a DIP switch on the driver. The drivers interact with the sensor to control what happens to the light when there is movement or daylight in the room. Different levels of sensitivity or daylight levels can be set by DIP switches on the sensor. A very simple and perfect solution for applications where data connectivity is not needed, but energy savings for an optimal price are very welcome!
As a system provider, OSRAM DS offers professional expertise in selecting the right components for a wide range of industrial applications. With our comprehensive product portfolio for industry lighting, we convince customers all over the world – in the long term, sustainably and always with a special focus on quality, energy efficiency, innovation and future proofing.
You can find out more about our solutions for robust, durable and energy-saving industry lighting in our product catalog.