Visualize dmx values in actionpad

e:cue Forum Foren English Discussion Forums SYMPHOLIGHT (E) Visualize dmx values in actionpad

Schlagwörter: , ,

Ansicht von 3 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      Robbert Mak
      Teilnehmer

Hi everyone.

What I need to do is to Visualize dmx values (or fixtures) in actionpad.
      Sort of what you see in the software (layouts).
      What is the best way to do this?

Thank you.

Robbert

Christoph PaduchChristoph Paduch

Hello Robbert

The main question is, what exactly do you want to visualize?
      Are these more or less static light scenes, is this color and brightness of a luminaire, or the content played on a video wall?

There is no direct way to visualize DMX values in the Actionpad, internally there is no way to access these values.
      The ActionPad is much slower than the DMX output, so all use cases with quick changing light values cannot be realized.
      But the ActionPad can be used e,g, to show, which luminaire is on or off, when using scenes.
      But for this you will need additional tracks in the corresponding sequences, that provide the information for the ActionPad.

I hope this helps.

Freundliche Grüße / Kind regards
      Christoph

Robbert Mak
        Teilnehmer

Thanks a lot for your reply Christoph.

I am controlling valves via dmx relays in different sequences and would love to visualize if a valve is active (open) or not on the actionpad. Because different valve scenes run based on different sensor inputs (wind/temperature etc) I can not use scenes to visualize it. If I can anyhow see something like you see in the layout in sympholight that would be great.

I’d love to hear if you know some kind of workaround for this. Maybe creating a node that can publish a fixtures dim value or something?

thnx again.

Christoph PaduchChristoph Paduch

Hello Robbert

one possible way is to use an additional SYMPL dmx Node port as input port. So you can feed the values into the workflow. You just have to set the corresponding port direction to “Input”.
      In the workflow you can use and assign a DMX In block. All necessary channels can be made visible.
      This process has some weak points: If you have often changes this might slow down the workflow, because every received value will be sent to the workflow.
      You can work against this by either slow down the playback rate or add some blocks that only let pass values that have changed.
      I have shown this in this screenshot from the workflow:
      Excerpt from workflow
      The upper solution is a combination of a Data Changed and a Value block and is very lean, but you will have to place a lot of blocks.
      Below there is a template, that does the same, as a template. If you want to add the logic to show the on/Off state of the valve you can add it in the template and then use instances of it, in order to save place in the workflow.
      The third one will work with all data types, not only numbers. But the logic is huge and lots of this template instances will slow down the workflow, too.
      Now you can directly visualize the values in the ActionPad.
      This way will be the shortest to create. Do not try this on the Core S, it might have to less power. The workflow might need a lot of CPU time. Nethertheless I would prefer this way.

The other way is to add additional tracks with opacity keyframing, that match to the valve state. These opacities can be accessed in the workflow, processed and sent to the ActionPad for visualization.
      It needs less CPU due to a smaller workflow but you do not work with the real values. So it is difficult to detect errors, made in the design or workflow.

Unfortunately I cannot provide the Templates at the moment.
      So I have attached the workflow as project file.
      (Of course this is a feasibility study without any warranty.)

I hope, I could help you.

Freundliche Grüße / Kind regards
      Christoph

Robbert Mak
      Teilnehmer

Thanks a lot, the upper solution will work fine as it’s only 4 channels. I will have to run it on a CoreS though.

Robbert

Ansicht von 3 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.