OSRAM at CES® 2017
Immerse yourself in our virtual reality and experience light in a whole new way!
Experience the future of light!
The CES® 2017 provided an opportunity to get to know the future OSRAM. True to our motto "ReInventing Light for 110 Years" OSRAM is the premiere high-tech lighting company aimed at creating the digital future with both visible and invisible light.
Our booth featured the latest developments in Automotive and Opto Semiconductor products. Be in the know regarding our newest technologies and details regarding production timing.
Immerse yourself in our VR video and experience light in a whole new way!
By click on the video-link you start the 360 ° video. For an optimum 3D-experience please note:
- iPhone: Best of all the video is shown with the YouTube app (if not installed on your device, please install). Press the video-link for 3 sec. Then select the option "Open in YouTube". If this doesn't work, try this link. If you watch the video via browser, please use the latest version of Chrome.
- Android: YouTube and Chrome are preinstalled in the latest Android devices. If your smartphone uses an Android version without YouTube, please install the latest version YouTube app.
- YouTube-App: You get the best video representation with a VR headset or a Google cardboard. Activate the cardboard symbol in the YouTube app.
On the Smartphone you can look around in the video by turning your head in the desired direction.
- Desktop PC or laptop: To watch the video on a monitor the topical versions of Chrome or Firefox must be installed. A near 360° view can be experienced by mouse-movements on the video-screen or the pan control in the left upper corner of the screen. A 2D version of the video you can watch here.
- Beware: Note that people can lose their orientation while viewing 360 ° videos with a headset. Therefore we recommend to watch the video seated safely on a swivel chair.
- More information how to watch 360° videos here.
Improved down-road visibility and clarity for the drivers increases safety for all on the road
“OSRAM’s car lighting technologies are designed to offer drivers smart and stylish design options, but most importantly, to significantly enhance road safety.”
Dr. Olaf Berlien, CEO OSRAM Licht AG
“A modern car comprises about 200 light sources. Some of them are using invisible light – for example, in systems for smart surroundings analysis and for proximity detection as well as for driver monitoring.”
Dr. Stefan Kampmann, CTO OSRAM Licht AG
Watch the video and listen to visitors at our booth!
Behind the Scenes with OSRAM at CES® 2017: OSRAM is REinventing light. Check out this behind the scenes peek at what we've been up to at CES®.
The latest automotive technology using invisible light, LiDAR (light detection and ranging), plays a key role in advanced driver-assistance systems, which are increasingly enabling semi-autonomous to fully autonomous driving capabilities.
LiDAR systems generate laser pulses that hit objects and reflect light back onto a detector. The time of travel of the laser beam establishes the distance to the object. OSRAM’s multi-channel laser light source enables vehicles to generate an accurate, three-dimensional image of their surroundings and use this information to initiate the appropriate driving maneuvers. An accurate evaluation of the vehicle’s surroundings is crucial for safe autonomous driving.Get more information on LiDAR
Experience laser light!
Headlights using laser technology are the next stage in automotive lighting. Due to the high luminance of the laser, which is about five times higher than the best of other light sources available today, these headlights double the best high beam range previously available, from 300 to 600 meters (2,000 feet).
OSRAM’s energy-efficient laser lighting, which includes some of the smallest technology components available, found its way into serial car production with the BMW i8 and the BMW 7 series as boosters added to the high beam. This provides better visibility for the driver and thus greater road safety.Get more information on laser light
Experience µAFS headlights!
In addition to laser technology, advanced pixel headlights represent the future of automotive lighting. Together with partners, OSRAM developed a tiny LED matrix chip with more than 1,000 individually controllable pixels.
A headlight comprising several such LED chips allows permanent driving with glare-free full beam. An onboard camera recognizes oncoming vehicle and pedestrian traffic, automatically dimming the high-resolution LED chips to ensure that the head areas of oncoming drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists are spared from the light beam.
This provides the driver with the best possible light at night, with no adverse effects for other traffic users. Osram expects to bring this technology to the commercial market by 2020.Get more information on µAFS headlights
Experience OLED rear lights!
The most innovative technology for rear lights are Organic LEDs (OLEDs) which produce light in very thin layers and open up new pathways for design. OLEDs can be separated so that switchable light surfaces can be arranged very close to each other, allowing for 3D shadow effects and dynamic functionality.
In the near future, design options will be further expanded by the production of OLEDs on foils, allowing the OLEDs to be bent into any conceivable shape. In addition to offering enormous flexibility of design, OLED technology boasts the advantage of consuming very little energy.Get more information on OLED rear lights